The second edition of the Asclepius series was created on February 27th 2019 as Jupiter and the Moon conjoined the fixed star Ras Alhague on the midheaven, Jupiter ruling the Sun and holding dominion over the 1st and 10th houses. As we well know, the Greater Benefic is especially empowered in his own sign of Sagittarius and grants aid and protection to all he touches. The chart can be found in the image gallery for each individual offering.
Jupiter takes 12 years to traverse the entire zodiac, making this same election, chosen by astrologer Austin Coppock, a rare opportunity. The formulations and effects are similar to the first edition, but with a gentler and more expansive quality that aids in reducing the typical symptoms of detox and purgation, making the process of healing and transmuting easier and more productive. Jupiter’s influence makes these talismanic items excellent wards for magical prevention and the safekeeping of good health.
This edition also sees an expansion of Asclepian offerings in the form of candles, the original incense formulation made available in a self-igniting form, a powder, and healing clay mask alongside an additional hydrosol.
We’re thrilled to welcome for the first time sorcerous blacksmith Cody Dickerson of Borealis Ironworks to Sphere + Sundry’s team of incredible collaborators, who forged 13 talismanic snakebound rods during the same election per his location.
Esoteric goldsmith Tony Mack returns, offering us two variations of talismanic pendants featuring gold, electrum, and high grade carnelian — the preferred stone used in Asclepius talismans since the height of his worship — set over viper’s tongue.
Also featured is Elizabeth Barrial, the animating force behind Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Twilight Alchemy Lab, who ritually formulated two triumphant limited edition perfume oil blends in dedication to Asclepius and his wife (or daughter, depending on who you ask!), the goddess Hygieia. Her symbol, the Bowl of Hygieia, is a cup or chalice with a snake twined about its stem, head poised to drink its healing contents, still used to represent pharmacists around the world today.
The altar for Asclepius II features gorgeous carnelian pieces from Haute Macabre’s Carnelian collection, cleansed and charged in the headwaters of the Sacramento River in Mt. Shasta. This same water was collected for use as the base for both hydrosols featured in the series, distilled under the auspices of Jupiter and Sol.
For those unfamiliar, Asclepius is the ancient Greek God of medicine, born to a human mother and the Sun God Apollo. His name means “to cut open”, as he was liberated from his dying mother’s womb via the first cesarian section. He was raised by his father and tutored by the wise centaur Chiron — known amongst astrologers by his asteroid and “wounded healer” lore — in the ways of healing and medicine using plants, herbs, and stones.
He was also a master of prophecy, and it was said that with Medusa’s blood and his serpent bound staff, the symbol for paramedics even to this day, he could call forth the resurrection of the dead. This shows Asclepius possessed the power and knowledge of transmuting poison into a cure — the means and production of anti-venom.
Some say he was the husband of Epione, Goddess of healing, and father to many, including Panacea, Goddess of the universal remedy, and Hygieia, Goddess of cleanliness and hygiene. He met his end being struck with Zeus’ lightning bolt, because his teachings and medicine were seen as a threat to the division between Gods and Humanity, and the King of the Gods refused to suffer that disruption of the status quo, tipped as it was, in his own favor.
Temples of Asclepius date back to the fifth century BCE, where those looking to be healed would make pilgrimage. Ritual purifications and baths were taken before making offerings or sacrifices, and the night was spent in the temple so that healing dreams, or dreams wherein cures were revealed, could take place. These were then reported to the temple priests, who would help interpret their meaning and prescribe a course of treatment. It is thought that Hippocrates, regarded as the father of medicine and the namesake of the Hippocratic Oath, began his career in an Asclepieion serving in just such a capacity.
Asclepius in astrology is seen as the Serpent Bearer in the constellation Ophiuchus, the much hyped and falsely accused “13th sign” of the zodiac. In truth, our sky features many constellations that are not included in the 12 most famous that ally the signs, and Ophiuchus is but one. As is so often the case, however, where pagan gods, snakes, and occult powers are concerned, Ophiuchus is widely maligned and misunderstood, along with the fixed stars comprising his celestial figure.
The creation of Sphere + Sundry’s first Asclepius series was begun on the 26th of June, 2018 when the Ascendant hit the first star belonging to Ophiuchus in Sagittarius, culminating and giving the final consecrations as Ras Alhague was rising. This fixed star denotes the snake bearer’s head and is the brightest the constellation Ophiuchus has to offer. Bernadette Brady (super star lady!), in her book Star and Planet Combinations, says of Ras Alhague:
The themes of this star are that of the healer, teacher, or one who is wounded. With this star in a chart one is drawn to the healing professions, or at least has a natural gift in that area… Whatever the symbolism of this star in a person’s life, the driving force of its expression is to repair that which is damaged, to heal.
Brady also points out that under Christian influence Ophiuchus became seen as Saint Paul, who was shipwrecked in Malta and bitten by a venomous viper. Acts of the Apostles (28: 3-6) within the Bible’s New Testament reveals:
And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.
And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.
And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.
Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.
Although the Christianized version of the constellation’s figure was attributed to St. Paul, one cannot deny that Asclepius’ status as a martyr, Solar affiliations, and ability to not only heal the sick, but resurrect the dead, also align him with the figure of Jesus Christ.
As part of the creation for this series, Asclepius was petitioned directly to bless each of the offerings and make them as medicine by his own hand. They are of course charged and qualified by their construction during the right window of space-time, but they are not 100% planetary magic as many other Sphere + Sundry series have thus far been, as they integrate the empowerment of a God for a portion of their mechanics and expression. They are blessed by the Divine Physician himself, as God of Medicine and martyr for the healing and empowerment of mankind. Their very procurement and use is an offering to him, in return for Asclepius’ curative blessings.
In practical terms, these items are intended to provide healing and renewal of the body, mind, and spirit. The first step before any medical operation is to sterilize. The wound must be cleaned, and the scalpels and bandages free of contaminating factors, as should be the environment that will host the procedure. On a mundane level, lack of hygiene begets rot, rodents, and illness, among a myriad of lesser evils like stink and stagnancy. In order to restore perfect health, all impeding the body’s ability to heal itself must be stripped away, for all healing is self-healing. The rest is but a simple matter of quarantine and facilitation.
As a result, the first effect that the offerings of Asclepius have is that of profound purification. The supreme clarity they bring can be instantly felt, and regular applications provide deeper benefit as further layers are washed and purified. Their cleansing effects are transmutative, helping the self and body craft the medicine it needs from the ‘poisons’, wounds, and trauma already in the system, both literally and metaphorically. These offerings help facilitate psychic and emotional metabolism and the distillation of wisdom and perspective from experience. They don’t wantonly strip the undesirable in order for it to be discarded, they alchemically transform it into a rich compost, from which new life and perfect healing can spring.
The cypress, western cedar, and fresh sage used in this series were harvested during the hour of Jupiter on the Summer Solstice after saying the harvesting prayer of Thessalos, transmitted to him in dream by Asclepius himself. This text was recently translated and published in English for the first time by Demetra George in her contribution to The Celestial Art, an anthology on astrological magic co-edited by Austin Coppock and Daniel A. Schulke for Three Hands Press.
To learn about people’s experiences with the Asclepius series, check the “Testimonials” section on each offering’s page from the first edition of the series, or Michael Lux’s in-depth exploration on Necromantic Matters.
Note to the budget conscious — a small portion of oil and hydrosol from the otherwise sold out initial run of Asclepius is still available, which is being offered at a discount so long as it remains.
As is the Sphere + Sundry way, the series was created and then left to incubate for a full lunar cycle. Our items are free of branding with simple hand drawn labels — the symbol for the Asclepius series being the serpent bound rod.
Each order comes with prayers and basic instructions for use, including suggested dates of working and application, along with an invitation to a private customer only Facebook group for continued support by both creator and community.
- Asclepius II, Oils + Perfumes, SeriesAsclepius, the ancient Greek God of healing, was petitioned to make this oil as medicine by his own hand on February 27th, 2019 as Jupiter and the Moon conjoined the fixed star Ras Alhague on the midheaven, in the constellation of the Serpent Bearer.Ethically sourced, wildcrafted and cultivated white and garden sages, cypress, incense cedar, rose of jericho, frankincense, legally and humanely acquired heart of venomous pit viper, and cleansed, charged carnelian, combined with organic, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.Anoint that which needs healing, with prayers and thanks to the Divine Physician for his curative blessings. Apply to areas of the body where healthfulness need be restored, during illness, or to boost immunity. Can also be applied to photographs or icons of those in need of healing and transmutation.Available in a half ounce glass vial with handwritten Asclepius glyph for $52.$52.00$52.00
- Asclepius II, Series, Waters + SpraysAs further detailed in the series description, cypress, garden sage, rosemary, and incense cedar were blessed using the words of Thessalos, given to him in dream by Asclepius, and harvested during the days and hours of Sol and Jupiter.These, along with rose of jericho, wildcrafted and ethically sourced white sage, and carnelian, were combined in a copper still and immersed in water freshly collected from the headwaters of the Sacramento River in Mt. Shasta. A hydrosol was produced on the Sun’s day, which was later combined with essential oils of frankincense and rosemary, colloidal gold, and grain alcohol during the Jupiter-Luna-Ras Alhague election, where the water was dedicated to Asclepius and received his blessing.Sphere + Sundry is pleased with all of the offerings we produce, but the Water of Asclepius in particular is something truly special (see Testimonials from the first edition). For a thorough application, shake well and use as a body and aura spray, making sure to focus around the head, neck, chest, and spine.Invokes instant clarity and refreshment, and aids in helping clear your field, heart, and mind over the next many hours. Apply after difficult interactions or during times of stress and negativity, and before bed to invite healing sleep and potential dream visitations from gods and spirits. Spray in spaces in need of healing, purification, and renewal, especially that carry a negative charge or presence you wish to dispel. Produces emotional, mental, and physical clarity that deepens with continued use.Includes a small piece of carnelian in each glass bottle, the stone used in talismanic rings of Asclepius for thousands of years. Available in a half ounce spray for $26 or a two ounce spray for $52.$26.00 – $52.00$26.00 – $52.00
- Asclepius II, Collaborations, S+ Borealis Ironworks, Series, Talismans + ReliquariesSnake bound rods, forged during the equivalent Jupiter-Luna-Ras Alhague election by sorcerous blacksmith Cody Dickerson of Borealis Ironworks. Of his exquisite creations, he offers —$130.00
“So be Wise as Serpents, and Innocent as Doves.” — Matthew 10:16
These relics are a visceral, ferrous expression of two primary principles observed within an occult framework : Salubrity and Resolve.
The Asklepian or ‘Rod of Asclepius’ consists of the serpent and staff. The serpent here may be said to represent both perpetual renewal & healing as well as the dual nature of pharmakon as both panacea and poison. The staff reminds us that in times of great need we must be willing to be supported. Their respective forms are expressed in hand-wrought iron, born of the hammer & anvil in flickering cacophony that is the ancient and venerable craft of the smith.
Some preparation of material took place the evening prior (cutting, layout, etc.) and final preparations were made during pre-dawn hours the morning of the election. Offerings of cedar, juniper, fir pitch and several native artemisia species were burned in the forge and a fumigatory rite of cleansing took place.
Enough material was cut and prepared for the 13+ relics to be forged, the serpent and staff to be officially intertwined during the beneficent interstice of this potent election. The election allowed a small but adequate window in which the work was to take place.
It was an intense fifty minutes. I can’t recall the last time I worked with as much vehemence, but I did manage to meet our goal. And not without some violence against my own corpus for as the work concluded, I fell into an intense bout of very unpleasant nausea and vomiting, swiftly (and mercifully!) followed by a deep sense of wellness. This speaks precisely to the often purgative, sicken-ing nature of pharmakon and again -- to the dual-nature of the serpent as an embodiment of wisdom and rejuvenation.
As for the iron Asklepians and their care, I recommend only this: while the relics have been treated with a thin coating of wax, I recommend that upon receipt they are further coated in the accompanying oil formulated by Sphere + Sundry during the election, or one of your choosing, preferably that lends itself to the restorative and health-giving nature of Asclepius and the noble art of physik.
I pray these talismanic objects of virtue serve in whatever capacity you desire, be they employed as ceremonial foci or by iron’s physical touch as a means of removing illness and dis-ease, thereby exploiting iron’s capability in the eradication of foul spirit presences afflicting both body and soul.Every talismanic rod includes a bottle of Asclepius II Oil for anointing and regular feeding. Mount above doors or beds to safeguard good health and act as a protective ward, or store upon altars or under mattresses for the same purpose.Available for $130 each. Only 13 of these most excellent specimens are being offered to the public.$130.00
- Asclepius II, Bath + Beauty, SeriesA mask set featuring two all natural components, intended to be freshly mixed for each application.Add healing clay powder to a small bowl and moisten with the accompanying hydrosol, created from water harvested from the headwaters of the Sacramento River in Mt. Shasta with organic calendula flower, raspberry leaf, white willow bark, and carnelian, distilled via copper alembic, combined with colloidal gold, and ritually consecrated to Asclepius.Mix well and apply to the face and décolletage, or over patches of troubled skin. Create a thicker mask for additional detoxification and deeper healing. Wear until it dries, anywhere from 10-20 minutes. Rinse with warm water and proceed with toner and a good moisturizer.Clay masks are especially beneficial for oily and combination skin. If your skin tends toward dryness, you may prefer the honey mask or choose to add a few drops of skin soothing oil to the clay formulation. It will tighten as it dries, tonifying and pulling impurities, oil, and excess sebum from the skin, while infusing it with minerals and beneficial trace elements.Excellent for clearing acne, reducing pore size, and creating a younger, softer, brighter appearance. Use 1-2 times per week for best results.Because this hydrosol is intended for topical use, it does not contain any grain alcohol to preserve. As with any natural skin care product, shelf life may vary. Store away from light and keep the glass dropper from touching anything that may transfer germs.Each mask set comes with over 2 ounces of clay powder in a reusable glass jar, and 1 oz of topical hydrosol in a glass dropper bottle with sanitized piece of carnelian. Pairs extraordinarily well with our Saltwater Pearl Exfoliating Polish, which is best used before application in lieu of traditional cleansers that can overly strip the skin, available as an optional add-on.Clearer, softer, more beautiful skin, by the grace of Hygieia 🙌$29$29.00$29.00
- Asclepius II, Bath + Beauty, Salts, SeriesAs detailed in the series description, ritual baths were one of the first steps taken to cleanse those who made pilgrimage to temples of Asclepius in pursuit of healing, and salt is a tried and true agent of natural purification in ways both physical and metaphysical.Dead Sea salt, Himalayan pink salt, and epsom salt were combined with essential oils of frankincense, cypress, and tea tree, alongside herbs from the consecrated incense mixture and 24k gold leaf, with Asclepius’ blessing.Draw a bath and add the mixture to the water to clear your energetic field, increase magnesium levels, and soothe and detoxify your system. Includes a prayer to Asclepius and suggested times for ritual potency. Fully immerse yourself, occasionally wetting the full head and hair for best results. Soak for 13 minutes or more.The formula of this salt is highly concentrated with essential oil to make less go a longer way. Available in an eight ounce glass jar for $33, enough for 2 deeply purifying baths, or add smaller amounts to many, utilizing the principle of contagion.$33.00$33.00
- Asclepius II, Candles, SeriesVirgin soy wax poured over suffumigated herbal mix during the height of the Jupiter-Luna-Ras Alhague election, topped with frankincense resin and a sprinkling of Asclepius incense, along with 6 pieces of carnelian added on Jupiter’s day and hour. Lightly scented with frankincense and cypress essential oil.Burn while saying prayers for yourself or loved ones in need of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing and protection. Keep lit at the bedside of those convalescing, or create an altar with their image for works of sympathetic magic.Glass jars in three sizes, marked on the bottom with the glyph of Asclepius.Available in 2 oz for $65; 8 oz vigil style for $91 (sold out); or 12 oz for $130 (sold out).$65.00 – $130.00$65.00 – $130.00
- Asclepius II, Oils + Perfumes, S+ Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, SeriesHandcrafted by Elizabeth Barrial of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Twilight Alchemy Lab, she says of her creation —$42.00
A perfume for Asclepius, the God of Doctors, Inventor of Medicine, Master of the Art of Surgery, the Sagacious, Blameless Lord of Healing, Man's Savior and Champion Against Diseases, and patron of the Asklepiades, the ancient guild of physicians. He is the son of Apollon, father to Chiron, Podalirus, and Machaon, and the greatest physician to ever have lived. It is said his skills were such that he was able to restore the dead to life.
Merciful Asclepius, wise and skilled God of the Medical Arts, purge our bodies of illness, injury, and pain. Grant us the wisdom of talented and compassionate physicians, the skill of master surgeons, the boon of healing medicines, and strength and wellness of body, mind, and spirit.
This sacred perfume contains hydro-distilled Frankincense essential oil (Bowsella carteri), hyssop essential oil steam-distilled from the leaves and tops (Hyssopus off. decumbens) and hyssop herb (Hyssopus officinalis, fossilized Himalayan amber oil (Oleum succini, dry distillation in sunflower oil), aniseed essential oil (Pimpinella anisum), clary sage essential oil (Salvia sclarea), myrtle essential oil (Myrtus communis), bay leaf essential oil and organic bay leaves (Laurus nobilis), white vegetal musk, Indian rose attar, organic sunflower oil, Greek olive oil, frankincense tears (Boswellia sacra), gum mastic resin (Pistacia lentiscus var. Chia), life everlasting flower (Helichrysum stoechas), Rose of Jericho (Anastatica hierochuntica), wild-harvested rose buds (Rosa damascena), yellow rose petals from the offertory bouquet, and ethically collected snake sheds.
Charged and consecrated under the auspices of Apollon, Asclepius, and Hygeia on Wednesday, February 27th during the Asclepius II election, and the whole of the perfume and its contents passed through the smoke of frankincense tears and Greek monastic lemon flower incense.
Each bottle contains pieces of carnelian and clear quartz that have been washed in frankincense hydrosol on the day and hour of Sol.
Not vegan: contains ethically collected snake sheds. Please note that this perfume may contain solid plant material.$42$42.00
- Asclepius II, Incense, SeriesThis loose incense is comprised of cypress, sage, and incense cedar, harvested during the days and hours of Jupiter and Sol before being prayed over in the words of Thessalos, given to him in dream by Asclepius (as detailed in the series description). These were combined with ethically sourced, wildcrafted white sage, rose of jericho, frankincense resin, and 24k gold leaf, before invoking the Divine Physician’s blessing as the fixed star Ras Alhague began rising.This incense is an exquisite smudging mix for the clearing of space and body — in general, after traumatic events, or before ritual. It can also be used to bathe objects you wish to cleanse and restore, such as crystals or ritual implements prior to consecration.Available in 1/2 oz self-igniting form for $26, or loose in a reusable glass jar over two ounces for $39.Charcoal must be used for burning loose incenses. You may choose to add organic coconut charcoal to your order, which must be lit on a burner.$26.00 – $39.00$26.00 – $39.00
- Asclepius II, Salts, Series$13.00
This ritual salt is from the Dead Sea, mixed with essential oils of frankincense, cypress, and rosemary, consecrated to Asclepius for the purposes of cleansing, banishing illness, and preserving good health.
Sprinkle on yourself, your doorstep or hearth, your floor before sweeping or vacuuming, or add to cleaning solutions to help purify energies and bring healing and renewal into your sphere. Can be used before workings to set a clean stage, or after to clear away energies and spirits. Also helpful against ghost and poltergeist activity. Not intended for consumption.
Available in a half ounce vial for $13.$13.00
- Asclepius II, Collaborations, S+ Tony Mack, Series, Talismans + ReliquariesGoldsmith Tony Mack collaborated with Sphere + Sundry during the equivalent election in his location to create a stunning set of Ras Alhague Serpent-Bearer fixed star talismans, in two original designs.Cast in electrum, an alloy of gold and silver, featuring high grade carnelian set over viper’s tongue, cedar, frankincense, and sage. The casting of the talismans was supplemented by suffumigation using Incense of Asclepius form the first edition of the series.Wear on your person for healing and to help transmute various manner of poisons into medicine. These are helpful for preserving health and warding away disease, but can also be used by those who have an ongoing health struggle or are taking medications that produce negative side effects.These are wonderful to wear if you work in a healing profession and want to bring the Divine Physician’s blessing into the realm of your client or patient work.Each talisman includes a 20” sterling silver chain, and a beautiful keepsake box bearing a wax seal of the Asclepius rod. It includes a bottle of Asclepius II anointing oil, recommended times for feeding and empowering your talisman, and a prayer to Asclepius.Available in your choice of standard electrum, 4ct carnelian, herbs and viper’s tongue inlaid for $729 (8 being offered to the public), or ornate electrum with gold accenting, 20ct carnelian, snake backing design, herbs and viper’s tongue inlaid into the bezel for $1,029 (7 being offered to the public).$729.00 – $1,029.00$729.00 – $1,029.00
- Asclepius II, Powders, SeriesThe Asclepius herbal mixture, comprised of ritually harvested cypress, incense cedar, and garden sage during the days and hours of Jupiter and Sol, along with ethically wildcrafted white sage, rose of jericho, frankincense resin, and genuine 24k gold leaf, ground to a fine powder for magical use as a safe keeper of good health, protection, positive transmutation, and clarity.Available in a half ounce glass vial for $26.$26.00$26.00
- Asclepius II, Oils + Perfumes, S+ Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, SeriesHandcrafted by Elizabeth Barrial of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Twilight Alchemy Lab, she says of her creation —$42.00
A perfume for the Bright-Eyed Mother, Highest Queen of Apollon's Golden Throne, Desirable, Gently-Laughing Hygeia. All-glorious and undefiled, Hygeia is the daughter of Eros and Peitho, sister to Iaso and Panacea, and beloved wife of Asclepius, she is the goddess and protectress of physical and mental health.
Benevolent, beloved life-bearing Hygeia, we ask that you preserve and safeguard our bodies and minds; keep ever vigilant so disease and decay touch us not. Make us whole and radiant.
This sacred perfume contains hydro-distilled Frankincense essential oil (Bowsella carteri), steam-distilled Hungarian hops flower essential oil (Humulus lupulus), beeswax solvent-extracted absolute, French lavender essential oil and lavender absolute (Lavandula angustifolia), attar of jasmine, organic sunflower oil, Greek olive oil, organic lavender buds (Lavandula officinalis), organic hops flower (Humulus lupulus), frankincense tears (Boswellia papyrifera), life everlasting flower (Helichrysum stoechas), Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus), yellow rose petals from the offertory bouquet, and ethically collected snake sheds.
Charged and consecrated under the auspices of Apollon, Asclepius, and Hygeia on Wednesday, February 27th during the equivalent Asclepius II election.
Each bottle contains a piece of clear quartz that has been washed in frankincense hydrosol on the day and hour of Sol, and the whole of the perfume and its contents passed through the smoke of frankincense tears and Greek monastic lemon flower incense.
Not vegan: contains beeswax and ethically collected snake sheds. Please note that this perfume may contain solid plant material.$42$42.00
- Altar Boxes + Sets, Asclepius II, Incense, Salts, Series, Waters + SpraysThis is a three step ritual involving the elements of fire (incense), water (spray), and salt (ritual or both forms). The set comes with all of the required elements from the Asclepius series and a copy of the rite, with directions to perform it on yourself, others, or any given space.Deeply purgative and energetically sanitizing, useful for super powered cleansing and purification. Appropriate during times of sickness, dramatic negativity, grief, unwanted paranormal disturbances, streaks of bad luck, or before or after significant procedures, whether medical or magical.The small set includes one half ounce vial of ritual salt, your choice incense, and small water for $65+The large set includes a complimentary rose of jericho, both forms of salt (one half ounce vial of ritual salt + one eight ounce jar of bath salt), your choice of Asclepius incense, and one 2 ounce spray of Asclepius water for $124+If you would like everything in the series, the full set includes the rite for Triple Purification and complimentary rose of jericho.$39.00 – $98.00$39.00 – $98.00