Fire has been used in ritual since time immemorial, and candles are contained vessels for flame that have their own rich history of magical use and application. That being said, most candles used in ritual are only loosely associated with their correspondences through color (white for ‘good’ magic, black for ‘bad’, etc.), perhaps an image with language on a label, and sometimes a scent, almost always synthetic. There are tradition-specific methods for further empowering or ‘dressing’ candles through carving, stuffing, and anointing with herbs or oil, and practitioners who offer this as a service.
While the argument could be made that all candles are ‘magical’, or have the potential to become ‘magic’ with the right intent and processing, the candles that Sphere + Sundry offers are highly charged ‘out of the box’ and talismanic in nature. They are created for the express purpose of carrying a potent influence, tightly aligned with the powers imbued by the astrological election that marks their creation or ‘birth’. They need no further treatment on your part to make them ‘do’ what they are supposed to — they can be put on an altar and lit during appropriate times, burned as an offering to curry favor with certain intelligences, spirits, or Gods, or dedicated to a specific purpose/ working through various means, including writing on the jar or using the candle’s flame to burn sigils, etc.
Our candles are hand poured, often during the height of each operation, and made from natural soy or beeswax. Seals and names are etched into the glass, usually on the underside of the candle. Any fragrance added is 100% pure essential oil of a sympathetic nature to the work at hand. They are often poured over similarly appropriate herbs, powders, or resins and feature gem, stone, or metal keepsakes that are revealed at the end of the candle’s burn span, to be kept as a talismanic lodestone for the charge.
Exercise caution and good judgment when handling flame, and never leave candles unattended. In the case of receiving a candle in a box set, make sure to clear away the materials used to secure the items during shipping before burning, and NEVER close the lid of the box before flame or ember has been fully extinguished.
Please note that our candles are handcrafted in tight timeframes and may not be as ‘flawless’ as the commercially mass-produced candles you may be used to. Wicks may not be perfectly centered and there may be ‘wet spots’ where the wax does not perfectly adhere to the glass. Such things, if they do occur, are cosmetic in nature and do not impact the magical charge they possess.
- Candles, Fixed Star Aldebaran, SeriesRed soy wax poured over consecrated organic Aldebaran herbal base including milk thistle, bull born, and more, in the prime moments of a fine Aldebaran election heavily supported by Jupiter in Sagittarius. Each candle contains a piece of rare coinage that can be kept upon a wealth altar or in one’s wallet after burning. Topped with ruby and genuine gold and copper leaf.Burn on altars or during workings related to Aldebaranian principles. Never leave candles unattended.Due to running out of small candle jars, this is a very limited run. Only twelve 2 oz jars were poured for $90, and seven hyper-large 24 oz for $272. Some of these are also reserved for box sets.$90.00 – $272.00$90.00 – $272.00
- Candles, Fixed Star Deneb Algedi, SeriesVirgin soy wax was poured over consecrated Deneb Algedi herbal mix during the Full Moon conjunct the asterism, 2019.Burn for protection, to avert the evil eye, reinforce boundaries literal and metaphorical, and facilitate a tactical, grounded, and stoic atmosphere. Use for spellwork concerning the rightful doling out of justice and defense, and to bring out the best in law enforcement and people in power. Great for wealth generation.Available in a 2 oz glass container for $84, or a 12 oz for $156$84.00 – $156.00$84.00 – $156.00
- Candles, Fixed Star Deneb Algedi, SeriesInspired by a workshop given by Professor Charles Porterfield on conjure lamps in the hoodoo tradition at the Viridis Genii Symposium 2019, glass vessels were suffumigated and filled with consecrated Deneb Algedi herbal mix before being filled with odorless and clean burning paraffin lamp oil during the height of the election.Contents include the traditional correspondences for Deneb Algedi — marjoram, mugwort, and blue chalcedony, in addition to 24k gold, frankincense, and other fortifying herbs for protection, the safekeeping of borders, repelling the evil eye, wealth generation, and calling the favor of the powerful.As taught by the conjureman, the light (and shadow) from lamps (and candles, no doubt) can be guided with the use of mirrors to shine in certain directions, upon photographs or specific items for additional magical utility. It was this point in particular that inspired the idea that such light could also be used to feed, magnify, and activate astrological talismans, and experiments since have successfully confirmed that suspicion!A benefit oil lamps in particular possess over candles is that they can be eternally refilled, vastly increasing the span of their application and usefulness. Burn as you would a candle to promote the influence of Deneb Algedi within your sphere. Keep on altars for protection, wealth, success, and reputation. Shine the light on talismans and implements to empower, activate, and magnify their charge.These oil lamps are quart sized and come sealed. They include the burner top and wick, which the client will install themselves, and a glass chimney for increased safety and protection against wind. Keep on a stable, flat surface, do not jostle, and never burn unattended.Only 6 oil lamps are being offered to the public.$360$360.00$360.00
- Candles, Golden Sol in Leo, SeriesVirgin yellow beeswax was poured over consecrated Sol in Leo herbal mix during a prime Sun in Leo election, making for talismanic candles perfectly at home upon success altars. Burn to call Solar spirits to attention, during meditation and self-reflection, or while engaged in spellwork for compatible self-actualizing and illuminating aims.Available in a 2 oz glass container for $84, or a 12 oz for $162$84.00 – $161.00$84.00 – $161.00
- Candles, Golden Sol in Leo, SeriesInspired by a workshop given by Professor Charles Porterfield on conjure lamps in the hoodoo tradition at the Viridis Genii Symposium 2019, glass vessels were suffumigated and filled with consecrated Sol in Leo herbal mix before being filled with golden, odorless, and clean burning paraffin lamp oil during the height of the election.Contents include, among other high quality ingredients, sunflower harvested during the day and hour of the Sun, bay laurel, saffron, ginger, bloodstone, heliotrope, cedar, frankincense, and 24k gold.As taught by the charisma-laden conjureman, the light (and shadow) from lamps (and candles, no doubt) can be guided with the use of mirrors to shine in certain directions, upon photographs or specific items for additional magical utility. It was this point in particular that inspired the idea that such light could also be used to feed, magnify, and activate talismans, and experiments since have successfully confirmed that suspicion!A benefit oil lamps in particular possess over candles is that they can be eternally refilled, vastly increasing the span of their application and usefulness. Burn as you would a candle to invoke the Sun in Leo's light. Keep on altars for success, fame/ reputation, healing, or personal meditation. Shine the light on Solar talismans and implements to empower, activate, and magnify their charge.These particular lamps are round in honor of Sol, appearing from the top as the Sun's glyph itself. Comes with a 6" tall glass chimney for increased safety and protection against wind. Keep on a stable, flat surface, do not jostle, and never burn unattended.Only 6 oil lamps were created during the Sol in Leo series election, 4 of which are being offered to the public.Available for $360All due praise + thanks to Prof. Porterfield for being a source of illumination and inspiration 🙌$360.00$360.00
- Candles, Series, Venus in TaurusNon-GMO soy, ritually poured over consecrated organic herbal mix and gold magnetic sand during one of the best Venus in Taurus elections 2019 had to offer. Crowned during Venus' day and hour with a fair trade emerald, genuine copper leaf, and royal jelly drizzle, a bee secretion used exclusively to feed the Queen Bee and her growing larvae.No cute word for larvae, is there? 😆 The point is the QUEEN! 👑🐝Burn to make the Venusian manifest, and reinforce your assets. Perfect for operations to strengthen romantic bonds, draw admirers, gifts, or money, or other rituals for Taurean ends.On a mundane level, light to set an ambience for paid or romantic encounters.Available in a 2 oz glass container for $84$84.00$84.00
- Candles, Exalted Venus, SeriesOrganic beeswax, dyed purple in honor of Jupiter’s rulership of Venus in her exaltation of Pisces, ritually poured over bee pollen, consecrated Venus herbal mix, and Tahitian vanilla bean at the height of a supremely fine Venus election. Topped with fair trade diamond dust, amethyst, emerald, and genuine copper leaf.Burn during operations for love, beauty, glamour, repairing relationships, or other rituals oriented to the Venusian sphere. On a mundane level, light to set an ambience for romantic encounters, to facilitate emotional connection and promote harmony.Available in a 2 oz glass container for $84, or a 12 oz for $161.$84.00 – $161.00$84.00 – $161.00
- Candles, Jupiter's Bounty, SeriesConsecrated Jupiterian herbal base, dried fruit from Jupiter’s ritual feast, and gold magnetic sand were added to the base of candle jars before virgin soy wax was poured during the height of the election window.Burn during Jupiter rituals or when engaged in activities where Jupiter’s steady emanating support would be beneficial, such as when teaching classes, working your way through stressful situations, doing yoga, or meditating. Topped with various Jupiterian gemstones.Available in a 2 oz glass jar for $88, or a 12 oz for $164. Only four large candles are being offered to the public.Important allergen note: While this does not contain peanuts, it does contain other nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios, and cashews) that were processed in a facility that handles peanuts. Not suitable for use by those with peanut or other nut allergies. Buyer/ user agrees not to apply, gift, or make available to those with nut allergies, assumes full responsibility for any allergic interactions to self and others as a result of exposure, and releases Sphere + Sundry from any and all liability. Keep out of reach of children.$88.00 – $164.00$88.00 – $164.00
- Asclepius II, Candles, SeriesVirgin soy wax poured over suffumigated herbal mix during the height of the Jupiter-Luna-Ras Alhague election, topped with frankincense resin and a sprinkling of Asclepius incense, along with 6 pieces of carnelian added on Jupiter’s day and hour. Lightly scented with frankincense and cypress essential oil.Burn while saying prayers for yourself or loved ones in need of physical, emotional, or spiritual healing and protection. Keep lit at the bedside of those convalescing, or create an altar with their image for works of sympathetic magic.Glass jars in three sizes, marked on the bottom with the glyph of Asclepius.Available in 2 oz for $65; 8 oz vigil style for $91 (sold out); or 12 oz for $130 (sold out).$65.00 – $130.00$65.00 – $130.00
- Candles, Fixed Star Regulus II, SeriesVirgin beeswax dyed rich yellow, poured over mugwort, wormwood, and mastic, topped with 24k gold and six garnets, in a similar style to the Regulus candles from the maiden series.The tall style contains approximately 8 ounces of wax and is almost 8" tall x 2" in diameter, perfect for short and routine ritual observations or multi-day vigils.Available in glass jars marked on the bottom with hand drawn golden Regulus glyph. Prayer candle style for $168, or 2 oz for $90$90.00 – $168.00$90.00 – $168.00
- Candles, Series, St. ExpediteVirgin soy wax, dyed red and poured over the St. Expedite herbal mixture during the full Gemini Moon election, topped with genuine 24k gold leaf.The candle jars were all hand painted red and given golden accents, so after the original candle has done its work these can still serve as candle holders for future burns and kept on Expedite’s altar as permanent, dedicated statuary. Matches the offering glasses, box sets, and hand-painted labels for the rest of the series.Burn on your St. Expedite altar as you say your prayers and make petitions. Can be left to burn as an offering or only lit while you directly communicate with the spirit.Being offered to the public are 8 small 2 oz votive sized candles for $87, or 5 large 12 oz candles with a wooden wick for $165.$87.00 – $165.00$87.00 – $165.00
- Candles, Jupiter’s Lightning Rod, SeriesVirgin soy wax and a touch of ghee were melted, dyed bright blue, and poured over powdered lightning struck peach wood, fulgurite, lapis lazuli, and 24k gold leaf. These were created on the Thursday Jupiter entered Sagittarius, while the Moon and the Greater Benefic were conjunct the descending angle. Lightly scented with pure essential oils of clove, cinnamon, allspice, orange, and frankincense.The effects are warming, invigorating, and exciting. They create a sense of opportunity and will help draw it to you, as well as help you break away from bad luck and stagnant patterns. Burn in rituals designed for uncrossing, luck promotion, and achievement. Light in the background as you brainstorm goals and create game plans, to draw Jove’s blessings to your endeavor. Use during invocations of Jupiter or Jupiterian spirits, or during weekly rituals.While still warming and quickening, this, along with the spray, are the gentlest offerings in the Lightning Rod series, emphasizing Jupiter’s nurturing, wholesome qualities. Only 16 candles were created, 4 of which are reserved for box sets. 10 are being offered to clients standalone.Each candle is in a 2 oz glass jar and provides around 15+ hours of burn time.$88$88.00$88.00
- Candles, Hermanubis, SeriesBeeswax was mixed with myrrh and dyed black before being poured over the Hermanubis herbal mix, including cemetery cypress, hops, and barley, along with some hair from a black dog. Each candle was topped with 24k gold leaf and ritually blessed by our patron, alongside the rest of the series.Acts as a lighthouse for the deceased, drawing them as moths to a flame. Burn on ancestral altars during offerings or to facilitate better connection and communication. Light during seances, while channeling the dead, or performing necromantic operations. Be specific in who you are trying to draw and consider employing a natron barrier as a ritual circle to keep from drawing wandering spirits.Can be burned as an offering to Hermanubis in exchange for guiding deceased loved ones through the other side, and helping get them to where they need to go. Light during Hermanubis operations to make invoking him easier.Available in a 2 oz glass jar for $72$72.00$72.00
- Candles, Moon-Neptune in Pisces, SeriesUnscented beeswax candles, ritually poured over the Moon-Neptune herbal mix, topped with a salt water pearl, tiny starfish, and silver leaf.Light while scrying or engaged in psychic, mystical, or artistic endeavors to enhance visionary capacity and thin the veil in your physical setting. Use the flame as a meditative aid and as a catapult for inner or outer void-work.Three variations were poured for this election. Available in a small Pisces-blue 2oz jar for $63, or larger 4oz mercury glass jars with a silver cast for $81, in white (limit 8) or Pisces-blue (limit 4).$63.00 – $81.00$63.00 – $81.00
- Candles, Series, Venus in LibraPure beeswax dyed a beautiful green, poured over the blessed Venus in Libra herbal mix. Crowned with genuine copper leaf, ethically sourced diamond dust, and emerald. Poured during one of the finest Venus in Libra elections and blessed by the fairest benefic.Light during Venus rituals or dedicate the charge in a candle spell for sympathetic aims. On a day-to-day level, burn this candle when you would like to create a pleasant, joyous, and relaxing atmosphere, such as during a date, dinner party, or family gathering.Each candle is about 2 ounces and provides roughly 15 hours of burn time.$84$84.00$84.00
- Candles, Fixed Star Algol, SeriesBlack candles were lit during the petition and prayers to Algol and oversaw the creation of most of the other items in this series. They were then melted down in time to be poured as the fixed star was rising on the Ascendant.Black hellebore harvested the night of, powdered (ethically, legally begotten) rattle snake rattler, and snake's skin in black wax. Each jar features an engraving of Algol's seal.It goes without saying that most Sphere + Sundry candles are made from virgin wax, but these candles had a storied and compatible history and were therefore upcycled for the operation. They were combined with additional wax, and still possess a scent from the original pillars, which includes tobacco, bergamot, and amber.Ten 2 oz candles were poured during this election, which provide around 15 hours of burn time. Three are being kept for personal use, three are included in Algol box sets, and four are being offered standalone.Please note that due to the particularly malefic nature of Algol, divination is being done on all orders placed for this series. If the results are ill-omened, we cannot ethically fill your order, and you will be refunded in full for any Algol items in your purchase. $87$87.00$87.00
- Candles, Mars' Degree of Exaltation, Series, Sold OutFlaming red candles hand-poured while Mars was in the 28th degree of Capricorn, his point of peak performance. Each candle features a dose of Mars powder, made the same evening, comprised of five hand-ground herbs and resins sacred to Mars. These include hot red pepper, genuine dragon's blood resin, and yohimbe bark, among other proprietary sympathetic ingredients, and small bits of iron and rust.A keepsake in the form of a bloodstone arrowhead is revealed when the candle has fully burned, to be kept indefinitely by the owner as a talismanic generator of Martial potency.Each candle is in a large 12 oz jar that, depending on burning habits, can provide 45+ hours of burn time. They feature a glass cap with Mars' glyph, Agrippa's seal of character, and the kamea or magic square, all inscribed during the operation. As their burning will often be accompanied by that of incense, they are unscented.The first time you burn a large candle, try to let the pool of wax get as far out as possible because it will leave a 'memory' in the wax and create a tunneling effect for future burns, which will greatly reduce the life of a candle. Magical candles are sometimes lit for short periods of time during prayers or petitions, so sometimes this is unavoidable. If you have issues with tunneling, there are ways of fixing it.Ten candles were poured, 7 were offered by Sphere + Sundry. They are now sold out.Click here for information about the use of these items for remediation of natal configurations or during Mars' retrograde. $95$95.00$95.00