Q + A : How do I choose which series or offering is right for me? Do you offer consultations?
If you’re new to astrology, remediation, or the use of magical items, it can be intimidating to choose which series or item will be best for you. There are two main ways of going about it.
Need or Desire Based
What do you want more of in your life, or what are you struggling with? This is by far the easiest method.
Are you trying to start a business and promote yourself? Regulus is just the spotlight you’re looking for. Are you struggling with a health issue? Call the Divine Physician*
Here is a list of our current offerings and some keywords to help you zone in on what’s right for you. I will update this list as new series are released —
- Jupiter’s Bounty: Jupiter remediation, increasing luck, medium to long term gain and growth, prosperity and abundance, centering, calming, enhancing objectivity, compassion, and patience, overcoming scarcity, enhancing self-worth and one’s ability to manifest and maintain All Good Things (money, health, happiness, etc.), meditation and teaching support, increasing stability and wellbeing, self-development
- Regulus: Visibility, success, prominence, self-promotion, authority, struggles with self-confidence, anxiety, or depression, patrilineal healing, (meta) Solar remediation
- Asclepius: Healing, purification, transmuting negativity into something positive, gaining objectivity and clarity.
- St. Expedite: Fast cash, immediate results, expediting petitions and sigil shoals, quickening other works of magic, bringing an end to overlong court cases and granting rulings in your favor, material manifestation, overcoming delays.
- Jupiter’s Lightning Rod: Emphasizing/ magnifying Jupiter transits (especially during his time in Sagittarius), opening the way for opportunities, setting goals and achieving them, connecting to greater purpose, expanding your worldview, working with thunder and lightning Gods/ spirits, increasing luck, breaking out of stagnancy, changing direction for the better.
- Hermanubis: Communicating with the dead, calling the dead, assisting in afterlife transition, ancestral worship, death gnosis, necromantic operations.
- Exalted Mercury Cazimi: Mental support and stimulation, writing, editing, communications, to-do list and small task support, works of detail and precision.
- Moon-Neptune in Pisces: Psychic development, lucid dreaming, increasing potency and frequency of dreams, mediumship, scrying ability/ seership, astral travel, inner and outer voidscape work, gnostic and mystical development, exploration of trancework and altered states.
- Venus in Libra: Beautification, charm, personal magnetism, glamour, self-love, improved relationships, enjoyment of the self and others.
- Algol: Protection, especially against the Evil Eye, works of black magic.
- Mars: Motivation, kicking ass, assertiveness, winning contests and competitions.
Are you trying to address natal chart placements or remediate a transit? To approach things this way is more complicated and case by case, so prepare to venture into the deeps…
One school of talismanic thought is that if you have a difficult Mars (in Cancer, for instance), you shouldn’t use exalted Mars to fix it because the results can be unpredictable.
That may be true with a forever metal talisman to be worn on your person, but talismanic materia is a different animal because it can be used in so many ways. The relationship is more transient and circumstantial.
Lighting Exalted Mars incense and making prayers and propitiations to Mars will not only please him (which is a form of remediation), you’ll also gain insight into how “proper” Mars should feel during that ritual moment. Such passing applications can help you sort through your tangled Mars wires and think on how to do it more effectively.
And regardless of where your natal Mars is, if you want to do Mars MAGIC, there is no better charged source than the Degree of Exaltation series. Putting that out into the world will deliver pure Mars-y results, because that’s just what it does.
The argument could be made that it’s safer to get your Mars magic off of someone else than to make it yourself if you have a weak or difficult Mars in your natal, especially if you’re a beginner or haven’t done a lot of development in that sphere.
I have a “bad” 12th house fallen Sun in Libra, and the Regulus series has been tremendously medicinal for me, so I’m not entirely sold on the idea that direct remediation doesn’t work.
My suspicion is that it helps to use a fixed star that runs a similar charge to a planet, rather than the planet itself (Sun in Aries, for instance), since it’s less of a direct confrontation between the natal energy and the charge, but still clarifies and benefits similar channels and topics. Using fixed stars for remediation could be a direct planetary “hack” in that sense.
But here’s the thing — at the end of the day, so much of magic is trial and error, and trusting your intuition. If you are curious about a series but concerned about whether it would be good for you, turn to whatever form of divination you work with and check in about it. Connect with the item through the screen and try to psychically feel it. Does it productively resonate? It’s all about trusting your inner guidance and coming in eyes open.
Which brings us to the second question, which is — do I offer consultations? The answer is no. Why? Because it puts the onus of a personal decision on a third party, and it’s important that your will is the primary drive behind any magically involved act (and ideally any act).
While Austin Coppock is in the business of teaching people how to fish, Sphere + Sundry is in a strange middle realm where we are offering people fish and include recipes (instructions, prayers, suggested times for working) for grilling those babies up. Whether you choose to follow our recipe or deviate is your own call.
Once we put a package in the mail, these items are no longer ours. They are yours, and it is up to you to navigate their appropriate use and get the best results. If I recommend something specific to someone in a consultation, and they receive the fish but don’t cook it how I recommended, I’m not responsible for their bad result.
It’s like when people rate recipes online and give something 3 stars, but then go on to talk about all the deviations they made. They didn’t rate the original recipe, they rated their Franken-one. It’s too easy when someone else makes a recommendation to misdirect blame and responsibility, when really your magic is a personal matter. You know yourself and your path better than an outside consultant, as helpful as their advice and guidance may be at various points along the way.
Real magic is volatile, and there are usually some weird side effects to dealing with new energies, whether positive or negative. There can be “healing crisis” types of reactions when you begin a course of remediation, or when magic comes into your world. It starts changing things — because it’s real, and it works.
Our offerings are designed to be helpful and provide as much of a safety net as possible, but at the end of the day it’s still your job to use them in a way that is productive for you, and do the Work. Working with these energies will change and evolve you for the better, if you go with the process, but the middle of that process isn’t always pretty or easy. Magic is always self-development in that sense.
Selecting the Form
Returning to the primary topic of choosing which offerings and their form, that is entirely up to your habits and preference. Once you’ve picked the series, consider what you would like to accomplish with the charge and the types of materials you already enjoy working with — that will point to the vehicle that would best suit you.
If anointing stuff is your thing and you like oils, go with that. If you are a fan of candle magic and want to light it every week and say the Orphic Hymn during the hour of X for remediation, or even devote a single candle to one big spellworking and dedicate the full charge, choose a candle. If you want to make convenient applications, perhaps daily, a spray may be the best option.
Take the time to read the category descriptions for each form and series — more than enough information is provided to orient you. (The Coppocks have been lovingly described as “long-form” 😂)
You don’t have to follow a purely planetary magic protocol with these items, either. Feel free to throw the recipe booklet out and adapt them to fit your model and methods. The magic will work anyway, because the items themselves have already been charged. You can be as active or passive with them as you like, they’ll work however you engage them.
In that way, you can use these items as components in whatever your style of magic is to boost the signal, even if you don’t do classical planetary workings.
If you are a witch who wants to do love or glamour magic and you already use incense, you may want to grab some from the Venus in Libra series. The Venusian charge will further empower your work and add more magic to the mix, and you don’t have to alter your methods in any manner.
So in short — we are helpful fishmongers offering only the highest quality goods, but it is up to you to determine which fish you want to go with, and how you want to cook it. I, for one, hope it’s the best meal of your life!
*also an appropriately qualified medical professional, disclaimer, disclaimer, blah, blah, blah 😉