In the pre-dawn Solar hour of August 9th, 2019, the Sol in Leo series rose brightly into being. Upon completion of the operation, as the Sun shone to bathe the East facing altar in freshly born light, tears of overwhelming gratitude and appreciation began to flow. The energies were so palpably healing, whole-making, and clarifying. Utterly radiant. Warming. Life-giving.
My heart grew 3 sizes that day… or 6. Maybe 36. Add a zero.
Kintsugi is the centuries old Japanese art of repairing broken ceramics with a veneer of precious metal, most often gold. Salvation of such an object necessarily creates some form of scar tissue — typically regarded as unsightly, serving as a burdensome, painstaking reminder of prior brokenness and its resulting imperfection.
Through Kintsukuroi (“golden repair”), the object is not only made whole again, but elevated by its very breakage. Gleaming veins of incorruptibility serve to honor and glorify the item’s unique history, through which it becomes truly singular — more beautiful, and more precious, for all it has lived through. Hard won, well-earned Redemption.
Gold is the metal governed by the Sun — warmly toned, virtuous, and highly regarded for its function and aesthetic alike. It withstands patina and tarnish over time, effortlessly maintaining its raw brilliance and conducting energy with tremendous efficiency. Relative softness and malleability make it an easy metal to work, but still strong enough for every day wear and application.
It’s one of a precious handful of commodities humanity has continued to recycle throughout time, with virtually no degradation. Gold worn thousands of years ago by an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh may have been re-melted countless times and comprise a portion of something newly minted, perhaps owned and worn by you, precious reader. It’s one of the very few things we’ve taken collective pains to maintain and recycle, and never discard, and as a result, nearly all the gold that’s ever been discovered is still in circulation or intentionally well-kept.
A classic and primary alchemical pursuit was the transformation of base metals into “noble” metals, of which gold was King. The process of its purification was seen as a means of purifying the human soul, and important Vedic texts described a connection between gold and eternal life.
That’s no accident.
Sol is humanity’s own star — the focal point and circle (☉) around which all the other planets in our system, including our own, revolve. Without it, there would be no life [as we know it], no human consciousness, no human being.
That’s not to say that the Sun’s light can’t bring obvious harm and imbalance. Anyone who has ever had a sunburn, stared directly into its heart, or been without recourse in a desert can confirm as much; but a sophisticated, classically informed astrology reveals that each planet and luminary has conditions under which it gains extra power and generates desirable results.
This series was created while the Sun was in its own rulership in the sign of Leo. Sol, like Luna, governs a singular sign, making its presence even more concentrated and keenly felt. While all of the actual planets traditionally hold rulership over two signs, each bifurcated into their yin and yang aspects, the Sun and Moon exist as one another’s primal and eternal counterbalance. The Sun is the most basic generative, active, and unifying principle of life, self, and Sphere, and the Sol in Leo series captures that pure, straight forward Sol-fire — fixed, simple, and potent.
Sol is constantly and generously radiating light and heat, on its own behalf because that’s its nature (doi!), but also for the benefit of all that relies on it. Our ability to access it is entirely dependent on our position in relationship to it. The absence of its light is our illusion based on the rotation of our planet or individual circumstances; never in human history has it stopped shining.
[Our experience of Eclipses being the exception, which are anomalous assaults on the light our life-supporting luminaries carry, and are therefore malefic events for the Sun and Moon. I will never cease spotlighting that fact. Back to our regularly scheduled programming… #eclipsetruther]
The same can be said for what the Sun represents in ourselves. Your immortal, divine, and incorruptible soul (Sol) is ever pulsing — throwing sparks of creation — leading, feeding, and illuminating that which relies upon it; the body itself (in turn, governed by Luna), the vessel for its animating force — your spirit and consciousness. Your ever-beating heart, so long as you shall live.
…this time around anyway 😉
But what exactly can the Sol in Leo series be used for?
Self-development and awareness. Excavating our inner light. Becoming more whole and coherent, a la the process of Golden Repair — the aforementioned Kintsugi. Mining the heart and spirit for gold. Purification. Deep, core healing. Soul retrieval. Recovery. Redemption.
Direct Solar remediation. Combating melancholy. Building deep foundational self-esteem and self-confidence. Bringing discordant features into right alignment. Increasing congruence of the Self and Sphere. Healthy ego development. Self-discovery. Increased leadership capacity. Gaining attention. Clearer seeing (literally and figuratively). Accuracy of perception. Kindness. Heart-centeredness. Patrilineal healing. Supplementing the process of shadow work. And far more.
So how does this series compare to that of the fixed star Regulus? To be clear, they have a TON of similarities. Both are great for Kingship, sovereignty, fame, and have big overlap. The following is a deep dive exercise in hair splitting for those who have offerings from both series, or are choosing between them.
For starters, each and every one of us have the Sun in our natal charts, whereas not everyone has a strong Regulus placement. The Sun is a personal part of our human experience in a way the far off fixed stars will never universally be. That’s not to say one has to natally possess heavy Regulus to use that series — they do not by any means. The magic and power of the star can be harnessed to do what it does regardless of personal relationship.
Zooming way, waaay out… it’s to make the point that our Sun is Humanity’s OWN star, and our local Solar system is actually the body we reside within in the big scheme of all spacial creation, known and unknown. As we gain enough distance and perspective, the Sun functionally inverts, coming to represent the closeness, embodiment, and materialized support we typically look to in Mother Luna…. all things are relative.
Regulus is exactly 360 times (Solar number, the amount of degrees in a circle) the luminosity of our own Sun, which is but one indication of its meta-Solar nature. From such a perspective, if we look at Regulus and Sol in exclusive relationship to one another – perhaps in the formation of a yin yang, our Sun represents the yin portion. Both oversee and govern similar principles, but the Sun is our innermost force of animation — close, deep, personal, and Regulus is far, far exterior.
Regulus is the spotlight as Crown, descending from overhead. It brings about the external validation of an applauding crowd, the favor of the powerful, and elevates us over others in terms of importance, success, and visibility. It’s one of the 4 Royal Fixed Stars, the one having most to do with Solar principles.
The Sun, for the sole purpose of this comparison, can be regarded as more personal and heart-centered, a source of inner radiance which facilitates better congruence, personal purification, and healing. Both can be layered and worked with together to great effect, and both can be used for similar purposes overall, but Regulus’ impact could be more externalized, and the Sun internal. It also depends, however, on one’s personal relationship to the position of Regulus and Sol in the natal chart.
Returning for this series is Elizabeth Barrial of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Twilight Alchemy Lab, who in affectionate remembrance of the much beloved Heart of the Lion, ritually blended a larger run of The Golden Sovereign talismanic perfume during the equivalent election per her location.
Tony Mack created a stunning set of Sun in Leo talismans, embodied in gold, electrum, and ruby.
No attention to detail was spared by Jeremy Bechelli’s contribution of a loose incense, jewel-like and resin rich. Phytognosis also supplied the high grade Hojari frankincense used in Sphere + Sundry’s powder and self-igniting incense for this series, and is the provider of our improved chemical-free, easy light bamboo charcoals, available as an add-on for loose incenses.
And as always, we thank astrologer Austin Coppock. For his electional services of course, but also for being a constant source of divine inspiration, and the singular point around which my heart continually orbits.
Each order comes with basic instructions for use, timing suggestions, and a prayer, in addition to an invitation to join Sphere + Sundry’s private Facebook forum for ongoing support from both creatrix + community.
By the divine right of Sol, may all our lights shine bright and eternal!
- Golden Sol in Leo, Oils + Perfumes, SeriesA blend of organic sunflower and jojoba oils ritually imbued to talismanic standard on a carefully selected Sol in Leo election, complete with Jupiterian and Lunar support.A blend of dried sunflower harvested during the day and hour of the Sun during Sol's time in Leo 2019, cedar, saffron, bay laurel, ginger, sweet cinnamon, rue, orange, clove, bloodstone, heliotrope, 24k gold, and more.Anoint the heart, third eye, crown of the head, or elsewhere to better embody your authentic self, build deeper and truer self-confidence, and purify the heart-mind-spirit complex. Healing, illuminating, warming, and uplifting.Can also be used to feed Solar talismans and items of power. Apply before going on stage, to elevate melancholic states, and to gain greater perspective. Great for self-reflection and meditation practices, as well as worldly success.Available in in 1/2 oz vials for $68$72.00$72.00
- Golden Sol in Leo, Powders, SeriesA combination of herbs and gems under the governance and accord of Sol, with Jupiterian emphasis — sunflower harvested during the hour and day of the Sun was dried and ritually consecrated during the series election, alongside cedar, saffron, bay laurel, ginger, sweet cinnamon, rue, orange, clove, hibiscus, bloodstone, ruby, heliotrope, ultra fine Hojari frankincense, and 24k gold.These were ground during the Sun's day and hour, making for a pure and uncut powder of great Solar potency. Dress candles, sprinkle in carefully selected areas, use as an ingredient in your regular spellwork, or in any way magical powders can be employed.Available in a 1/2 oz glass vial with cork top for $30$30.00$30.00
- Collaborations, Golden Sol in Leo, S+ Tony Mack, Series, Talismans + ReliquariesResident Sphere + Sundry goldsmith and 5-star AstroMage Tony Mack offers to the Sol in Leo series custom designed talismans —$1,800.00
Modeled in hard carver’s wax, and cast in molten metal on August 9th, 2019 at 6:10AM EST in Williamsport PA, during the planetary hour of the Sun; accompanied by a solar petition and suffumigation of frankincense, cinnamon, sunflower, and celandine.
An 18k gold blazing sun, conjoined with an electrum (an 80/20 alloy of gold and silver) frame depicting our star ascending over the horizon. The heart of the sun is set with a 1.5ct ruby. The reverse side of the talisman is engraved with the planetary characters of the Sun as depicted in Arabic manuscripts of the Ghayat Al Hakim [Picatrix].Mr. Mack's preliminary findings —
The Sol in Leo talismans made space for a number of bird of prey synchronicities, beginning with a pair of hawks (the animal totem for the Sol in Leo series, featured upon The Golden Sovereign label) driving crows over my home in the morning hours following the casting (a scene which the talismans had a view of as they lay in a brass bowl under the sunlight post-casting).
My most immediate, embodied experience of the talismans was an awareness and correction of my breathing; which in turn reoriented my attention, put a bit more light behind my eyes and elevated my present experience - rather obvious; though I’d been unconsciously running on shallow breath, and I’d receive a nudge until this was remediated as I proceeded putting the finishing work/stone setting to the talismans.
In the days following the election I was contacted by a handful of clients, some familiar and some new acquaintances regarding not-explicitly-astrological metalwork; each of their projects connected either directly or indirectly to the Egyptian Horus. I'm thrilled with my experience with the Sol in Leo’s while they were at my bench, as well as with the opportunities that have presented themselves in their wake...Nine talismans are being offered to the public. Each comes with a 20” silver chain and arrives in a gold foiled and latched pendant box, marked by a golden wax seal featuring a Sun in Leo glyph for easy identification.Includes a vial of Oil of Golden Sol for charging and feeding. Available as an optional add-on to each full Sol in Leo box set.Available for $1,800$1,800.00
- Candles, Golden Sol in Leo, SeriesVirgin yellow beeswax was poured over consecrated Sol in Leo herbal mix during a prime Sun in Leo election, making for talismanic candles perfectly at home upon success altars. Burn to call Solar spirits to attention, during meditation and self-reflection, or while engaged in spellwork for compatible self-actualizing and illuminating aims.Available in a 2 oz glass container for $84, or a 12 oz for $162$84.00 – $161.00$84.00 – $161.00
- Golden Sol in Leo, Incense, SeriesA combination of herbs and gems under the governance and accord of Sol, with Jupiterian emphasis for increased luck and support — sunflower harvested during the hour and day of the Sun was dried and ritually consecrated during the series election, alongside cedar, saffron, bay laurel, ginger, sweet cinnamon, rue, orange, clove, hibiscus, bloodstone, ruby, heliotrope, ultra fine Hojari frankincense, and 24k gold.These were finely ground and made into a self-igniting incense blend during the Sunday following the election, in the hour of the Sun. Pure, uncut, and organic herbs, gemstones, and flowers.Burn during Solar rites, or those for purification, healing, inspiration, and wholeness. Take a whole-body smoke bath to support self-development, greater embodiment, and self-actualization, or use during meditation. Use to clear away negative, limiting, or melancholic energies.Available in a 1/2 oz glass vial with cork top for $30$30.00$30.00
- Collaborations, Golden Sol in Leo, Oils + Perfumes, S+ Jenn Zahrt, Series$42.00First time Sphere + Sundry collaborator Jenn Zahrt of Revelore Pres offers as part of the Sol in Leo series alchemically extracted, organic, cage-free Oil of Egg, for the purposes of natural skin care and Solar attunement —
4ml vial of triple-filtered, cold-processed alchemical oil of egg. Each vial contains approximately 200 drops (note that there is no dropper cap)
Oil of egg is 100% bio-available and works both externally and internally. Externally, it is a potent skin food for healing dry and upset skin (eczema, psoriasis, etc.), and rapidly accelerating the healing of burns, lacerations, and scrapes. It's also known to prevent scarring. Rub dropwise, sparingly, into wounds or over scabs, and reapply as needed until healed. A little goes a very long way.
Internally, a few drops taken during a solar hour can amplify your relationship to the Sun, bringing vitality on the cellular level and manifesting your inner glow.
Oil of Egg may also be used ritually as a solar element to enliven sigils, anoint statues and altarpieces, and more. Think of it as the fertile power of the Sun in a bottle.A very limited number of glass vials were created, available for $42$42.00
- Golden Sol in Leo, Series, Waters + SpraysWater freshly collected from the headwaters of Mt. Shasta, distilled via copper alembic from one hour of the Sun to the next on the day of the election. A combination of herbs and gems under the governance and accord of Sol, with Jupiterian emphasis — sunflower, cedar, saffron, bay laurel, ginger, sweet cinnamon, rue, orange, clove, hibiscus, bloodstone, ruby, heliotrope, and colloidal gold.The result is an uplifting and warming hydrosol, honoring the Sun's invigorating, purifying nature. Use as a body or aura spray as an invocation of the Sun and authentic self, to help uplift, heal, clarify, and bring about better alignment. Can also be used as a room and linen spray to prepare for ritual operations of a Solar nature.Available in a 1/2 oz glass spray bottle with 24k gold leaf for $30, or a 2 oz for $66$30.00 – $66.00$30.00 – $66.00
- Candles, Golden Sol in Leo, SeriesInspired by a workshop given by Professor Charles Porterfield on conjure lamps in the hoodoo tradition at the Viridis Genii Symposium 2019, glass vessels were suffumigated and filled with consecrated Sol in Leo herbal mix before being filled with golden, odorless, and clean burning paraffin lamp oil during the height of the election.Contents include, among other high quality ingredients, sunflower harvested during the day and hour of the Sun, bay laurel, saffron, ginger, bloodstone, heliotrope, cedar, frankincense, and 24k gold.As taught by the charisma-laden conjureman, the light (and shadow) from lamps (and candles, no doubt) can be guided with the use of mirrors to shine in certain directions, upon photographs or specific items for additional magical utility. It was this point in particular that inspired the idea that such light could also be used to feed, magnify, and activate talismans, and experiments since have successfully confirmed that suspicion!A benefit oil lamps in particular possess over candles is that they can be eternally refilled, vastly increasing the span of their application and usefulness. Burn as you would a candle to invoke the Sun in Leo's light. Keep on altars for success, fame/ reputation, healing, or personal meditation. Shine the light on Solar talismans and implements to empower, activate, and magnify their charge.These particular lamps are round in honor of Sol, appearing from the top as the Sun's glyph itself. Comes with a 6" tall glass chimney for increased safety and protection against wind. Keep on a stable, flat surface, do not jostle, and never burn unattended.Only 6 oil lamps were created during the Sol in Leo series election, 4 of which are being offered to the public.Available for $360All due praise + thanks to Prof. Porterfield for being a source of illumination and inspiration 🙌$360.00$360.00
- Golden Sol in Leo, Oils + Perfumes, S+ Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, SeriesIn memoriam of the much beloved Heart of the Lion, Elizabeth Barrial of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab and Twilight Alchemy Lab ritually crafted a limited edition perfume oil during the Golden Sol series election. Of it, she shares —$45.00
There’s a quote that floats around the internet periodically, attributed to Gianni Versace: In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do. Whether or not this is a legitimate quote, the sentiment perfectly encapsulates the essence of the Golden Sovereign. We are all born with access to our own kingdoms, and it’s up to each of us to expand that kingdom to the benefit of all, to rule benevolently, and to use our power to not only lift ourselves up, but to lift up those around us - especially those who are not empowered to help themselves.
This is an oil of power, but specifically it is an oil of power accumulated and wielded benevolently. It amplifies charisma, heals while providing healing to those in your sphere, amplifies authority, and brings opportunities for you to use your personal power to commit acts of true generosity, kindness, and compassion.
The Golden Sovereign helps you to accumulate a bounty of resources and reserves to sustain and enrich you, so you can comfortably share the bounty of your good fortune with others.
This is your kingdom; govern it with kindness and love. Be royal – not only because of who you are, but because of what you do.
Honeyed amber with 24k gold leaf, organic Atlas cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) and organic Western red cedar (Thuja plicata) essential oils, two organic frankincense essential oils (Boswellia carteri and Boswelia serrata), organic bay laurel essential oil (Laurus nobilis), organic bergamot essential oil (Citrus bergamia), organic clove bud essential oil (Syzygium aromaticum), chips of Baltic amber, bee pollen, saffron (Crocus sativus), whole wild-harvested cedar berries (Juniperus monosperma), organic chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita), organic cloves (Syzygium aromaticum), calamus root (Acorus calamu), sunflower oil, single-origin olive oil, Ethiopian frankincense tears (Boswellia papyrifera), Baltic amber chips, and rue (Ruta graveolens), Mexican marigold (Tagetes erecta), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), bay leaf (Laurus nobilis) and angelica root (Angelica archangelica) that have all been harvested from the TAL garden on the day and hour of Sol, plus some heliotrope harvested on the day and hour of Sol from Lilith’s best friend’s parents’ garden. Whew!
PLEASE NOTE: this oil is not vegan.Available for $45$45.00
- Collaborations, Golden Sol in Leo, Incense, S+ Phytognosis, SeriesJeremy Bechelli, Ph.D., is the proprietor of Phytognosis, ultra fine purveyor of materia magica, incenses, and resins —$48.00
This sun in Leo incense was compounded on Friday, August 9th at 6:00 AM using 36 unique botanical ingredients with the weight of each ingredient in various multiples of 36. The primary solar resins include 6 types of copal, mastic resin, gum juniper, and olibanum. The woods include a solar mix of Red sandars wood, juniper, and sandalwood. Fiery notes originate from Ceylon cinnamon, galangal, ginger, and three exotic species of pepper.
Several of the resins were died and polished using extracts of various plants and botanicals that give them a glowing almost jewel like look, reminiscent of the solar rays sparkling off precious gems. This is a luxurious blend containing several rare and unusual ingredients.Available for $48$48.00
- Altar Boxes + Sets, Golden Sol in Leo, S+ Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, S+ Jenn Zahrt, S+ Phytognosis, S+ Tony Mack, SeriesWooden boxes hand-painted a warm yellow and otherwise unmarked, to serve as a protective storage space or portable altar for Solar offerings of any variety. May be further decorated or inscribed by the client.Along with the box, this set includes all items from the Golden Sol series excluding the Oil Lamps. Talismans are available for each box set as an optional add-on.Note that even though small 2 oz candles are the size that comes with these sets, the large 12 oz candles will also fit within the box's confines, along with everything else upright —$450.00
- Water of Golden Sol (2 oz)
- Golden Oil of Sol
- Sol in Leo Powder
- Candle of Golden Sol (2 oz)
- Golden Sol Self-Igniting Incense
- Loose Sun in Leo Incense by Phytognosis
- Alchemically extracted Oil of Egg by Jenn Zahrt
- The Golden Sovereign Perfume Oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
- Optional: Sol in Leo Talismans in gold, electrum, and ruby by Tony Mack
- Our largest box set to date! 9.5” wide, 5.5” tall, 6” deep